Monday 23 March 2015

Chocolate Playdough

I love playdough. It promotes creativity, discussions, role play and fine motor skills, just to name a few. I always try to match my playdough to what every topic we are talking about in class. I have made everything from Space to Frozen themed playdough and the kids just love it.
Today I will share with you the playdough I have made for our Easter unit we working on in the lead up to the holiday - Yummy Chocolate Playdough!

Love Miss Walker

This amazing recipe smells good enough to eat and we had to have very detailed discussions during our morning mat session that playdough is not edible. Here is the easy no-cook recipe :

2 cups plain flour 
1 cup salt
1/2 cup cocoa or cacao powder
2 tbsps vegetable oil
2 tbsps cream of tartar
2 cups of boiling water 

Simply mix the dry ingredients together, add the oil, boiling water and mix until thoroughly combined. Let the mixture stand until cool to ensure the boiling water 'cooks' the dough. Don't be scared if at the start it looks like a disaster - good things come to those who wait! Once it has cooled, knead it on a clean surface until smooth. Store in a zip-lock bag or airtight container. It will last for weeks, however I like to change my playdough fortnightly as many, many little fingers touch it day in and day out. If making it for home use, it should last you a month or so. 

The key to the success of this recipe is to make sure that the water it absolutely boiling. I have used a school kettle in the past and the few times I did, the playdough did not work. I couldn't figure out why for so long, then realised that the water temperature was the cause! If you have a good quality kettle, this shouldn't be a problem. My school kettle cost about $10 from Coles...go figure!

Play dough
This is the consistency you are after. Looks good enough to eat!!

I will finish this post with a look at our Easter-themed classroom. I love Easter decorations - the colours make me so happy! I managed to find most things at Kmart this year, their decorations and stationary choices are improving each year. 

Easter Decorations
Happy Easter Bunting! 
Easter
A closer look at the cuteness
Easter

Our playdough table! So happy and colourful 
Easter decals are perfect for creating Easter Treats.
 I use silicone cupcake moulds quite other for playdough play.
Easy to wash & reuse and impossible for curious little fingers to break
Supplies 
These signs were a part of an 'Easter Hunt' pack from Kmart. 



Decorating Easter Trees. I find these hanging eggs from dollar and discount stores each year, the kids love it. 


Happy Easter everyone!!



<a href="http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/13878931/?claim=vbugvj2z9n5">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>






0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...